When it comes to eye creams, people tend to divide in to two distinct groups: those that love them and those that think they’re an unnecessary waste of money.
Whilst I do often use an eye treatment, I’m not religious about it. This is mainly because I believe that eyes are a clear reflection of the body’s inner health. If you’re eating a well-balanced, healthy diet, you drink plenty of water and get enough sleep, your eye area will undoubtedly be clear, bright and evenly toned.
Having said that, we all go through periods where we could use a little brightening, moisturising and de-puffing. Here are some of the main causes of the most wide-spread eye area problems:
Dark circles: lack of sleep, liver problems, sluggish lymphatic system
Puffiness: excessive consumption of salt, caffeine or alcohol, lymphatic problems, sleeping on your stomach
Dehydration: some types of medication, sun exposure
Wrinkles: sun damage, general ageing
- Apply your cream around the orbital bone and keep as far as you can away from the eyelids. Eye cream travels closer to the eye with every blink and movement of your facial muscles.
- Don’t be tempted to use more than a pea-sized amount, even if your eye area is super dry.
- Unless you have exceptionally dry skin or suffer from eczema around your eyes, stick to the lightest texture possible when choosing your eye treatment.
- Avoid formulas with added fragrance. This is the fastest route to irritation, puffiness and redness.
- If you have particularly sensitive eyes, keep an eye out for these notoriously irritating ingredients: essential oils, sodium lauryl sulfate, bismuth oxychloride, petrochemicals
Here are four of my favourite eye treatments that will have you looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in no time.
Dehydration: Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado
This is a rich, creamy treatment that’s long been a favourite amongst those with dry skin. It goes on smoothly so a little goes a long way, plus it’s easily absorbed without leaving a greasy residue. Not to mention it has a surprisingly refreshing, cooling sensation.
Dark Circles: Olay Eyes Ultimate Eye Cream
I love a budget beauty buy as much as the next person; and this particular cream is as effective as it is pocket-friendly. It’s packed full of peptides and vitamin B3 to effectively target fine lines and puffiness with the added benefit of light reflecting pigments to instantly brighten eyes.
Line Prevention: Alpha H Absolute Eye Complex
If you’re looking to prevent lines before they appear, firstly, yay for you! Secondly, this lightweight formula contains a blend of powerful actives like natural acids to rejuvenate and accelerate cell renewal as well as vitamin B5 to firm and cooling cucumber to soothe. Super silky and refreshing.
Anti- Aging: Dermalogica Age Reversal Eye Complex
This one’s great for those already suffering from visible lines, dark areas and sagging. It contains a firming complex that claims to target the lower layers of the dermis, targeting the underlying tissues, stimulating collagen production and thickening cells. This cream moisturises well and eyes definitely look tighter and brighter immediately after use; however as it contains retinol, it’s not suitable to use during pregnancy.